Summary of Work
At the North Dakota State Auditor’s Office, we don’t just talk about our values – of respect, excellence, leadership, integrity, and teamwork – we live them every single day. We take pride in our commitment to bring transparency to government and we are dedicated to generating greater value for taxpayers. In this role, you will have the opportunity to audit and perform reviews of energy companies.
The Federal Oil and Gas Royalty Management Act authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to enter into cooperative agreements with States to share oil and gas royalty management information, and to carry out inspection, audit, investigation, and enforcement activities on Federal lands. This position would oversee the team that carries out this function for the agreement between North Dakota and the Office of Natural Resources Revenue.
We provide a welcoming and flexible environment with a commitment to work-life balance. We also offer an exceptional benefits package and all the training opportunities you’ll need to help you reach your highest potential. This position will:
- Oversee and manage a team of four.
- Administer the federal contracts work plan and financials.
- Supervise and review compliance reviews and audits of companies paying federal mineral royalties within North Dakota.
- Review and analyze federal mineral lease agreements, sales contracts, contract agreements, and other records of the Federal Government and companies paying federal mineral royalties.
- Review and analyze federal land lease maps and well spacing units.
- Training, including opportunities to attend informative seminars.
- Travel is generally one week or less per year.
- Work independently and potentially remotely upon obtaining the necessary skills and knowledge.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Statistics, Economics, or related area from an appropriately accredited institution.
- Prior work experience in Oil and Gas and accounting.
- Analytical ability.
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing with office employees and audit clients.
- Requires successful completion of the hiring process including reference, background check, and federal security clearance.
- Have a professional certification such as CPA, CIA, CFE, CISA.
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- In addition to the required bachelor’s degree, have a master’s degree or a major in business, management, finance, economics, communications, or information technology.
- Have recent, directly related auditing or accounting experience.
Applicants must complete the State of North Dakota online application, along with uploading a cover letter, addressing how all minimum qualifications/requirements are met, a current résumé, and an unofficial college transcript. Applications must be completed by 11:59 pm on the posted closing date.
For more information or if you need accommodation or assistance in the application or selection process contact:
Office of the State Auditor
600 E. Boulevard Avenue – Dept. 117
Bismarck, ND 58505
Telephone Number: 701-328-1072 Website: http://www.nd.gov/auditor
Individuals claiming veteran’s preference must be a current North Dakota resident and provide the required documentation listed on the application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetics, religion, age or disability in employment or the provisions of services and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.